OK, you hate DRM – Who doesn’t?
Let’s say you purchased some books through Barnes and Noble, but you want to view them wherever you want – whenever you want, because technically you own them.
If you are a terrible person who has just downloaded NOOKstudy and are using the free 7 day download pass to gorge yourself on books, I have neigh but contempt for you.
Either way here’s how you can strip off Barnes and Noble’s DRM to enjoy your literature however you please:
- Python 2.7 32-bit Installer – http://python.org/download/releases/2.7/
- Nook Python Modules (Choose any one of the following)
- MegaUpload – http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KA6RD5X3
- RapidShare – http://rapidshare.com/files/423130604/nook_key_retrieval.zip
- MediaFire – http://www.mediafire.com/?xd4ao9dizgwx78l
- Pycrypto 2.1.0 Binaries – http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/modules.shtml#pycrypto
- Download and install Python, followed by Pycrypto.
- Create a folder on your computer somewhere in the root of the C:\ drive for the sake of simplicity, then extract the Nook Python Modules there. My folder is located at C:\NookBooks.
- Copy your eBook to the folder you created in step 2. Your eBooks can be found in your My Documents folder under the My Barnes & Noble eBooks folder.
- Add the eBook to your NOOKstudy library through the Add File dialog. Open the file for viewing.
- Once it has been opened, double-click the BNKeyretrieval.py file to run it – you should receive a message that the key has successfully been retrieved and written to a file named adeptkey.der.
- Double-click the ineptpdf2.pyw file. In the program window, select the encrypted PDF you opened in NOOKstudy as the Input file, and then select your output file. Be sure not to use the same name as the input file.
- Click Decrypt and wait a few minutes – the process can take quite a bit of time to complete, depending on the length of the book
That’s it, now you can read your DRM-less eBooks anywhere you wish. It is up to you to use this only on books you own.
As a side note, the key exported to adeptkey.der can be used to decrypt subsequent eBooks downloaded with your Nook account, so there is no need to obtain the key each time.